Kristin and I met in the least glamorous way possible: Band. It was sixth grade and she played the flute while I was a little drummer girl (yeah yeah, get your laughs in now). FYI - At Madison Junior High everyone did either band, orchestra, or choir and unfortunately I picked the least attractive option during the days when I aspired to be the next Courtney Love.

Kristin and I met in band, but became close friends due to our hang-out time at lunch. We barely had any classes together, but come lunch time we would gossip and chat in the cafeteria for 25 minutes, followed by another 25 minutes in the Ladies Room where I would study and Kristin would apply large amounts of hair spray to her bangs, which we named the Ocean Spray Wave. Before you laugh at us, remember how you looked in 1991...
We stayed friends throughout Junior High, High School, and college, despite going to different universities. We visited each other at college as much as possible, and were inseparable over our breaks from school. We waitressed together at our country club over the summer, which was an experience that both of us agree was awesome and torturing at the same time. Nothing beats watching your friends' parents get overserved and "dance" (if that is what we can even call it).
Kristin came out to visit me with the Andy's back in 2004, and I think that all four of us would agree that the trip was legendary. There were more stories than I can begin to count - in just four days!! Kristin was a part of The Crew from high school, and I am happy to say that all of us are still in touch (and attending each other's weddings all across the US).
About Kristin
Kristin is currently a second grade teacher at Kingsley Elementary School in Naperville, IL. Naperville is still one of the top school districts in the state, and Kristin has definitely achieved the goals that she set out for herself back in high school. She married Trent Phillips in June 2006, whom she met at University of Illinois, and they live in an adorable house in the border of Oswego and Naperville with their pooch Hayley (whom Charly has stolen toys from). She comes from a loving family who are part of the founding family of Naperville, and who have become my own extended family over the last nineteen years (ok now I feel old).
Kristin lives the phrase "Kids Say The Darndest Things" and I'm lucky that she shares these stories with me whenever possible. If I am having a rough time, I can email Kristin to get a story that will cheer me up immediately. I have also become a pen pal for Kristin's class, going into my fourth year. While some might say this is good for Kristin's class, it is actually better for me. My postcards and skypes to them about adventures in APAC allow me to remember how lucky I am to have this journey across the world.
Time for the sappy bit: Kristin is one of the most genuine, kind, and down to earth people that I know. We have had good times together in the Midwest and in LA, with almost twenty years of memories to keep us laughing. I am lucky to be able to call Kristin a friend and know that she will be one of my closest friends for the rest of my life.
Ten words that remind me of Kristin:
* Ocean Spray Wave
* Jimmy Buffett (this was more related to Trent...)
* Barn Dance
* Pool
* Adrienne!!!!!
* Track meets (MANY of them)
* Madison Junior High Student Council
* White Eagle
* Murphy
* Hood ornaments
** As usual, many of these are inside jokes that you can ask either of us about during the wedding weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment