Lindsey and I met at Miami University through our friend Allison Folz (my roommate and Lindsey's classmate), but we became very close friends when we moved out to LA with our good friend Kyle in 2003. The three of us lived together in the Westwood neighborhood of LA during our first year after school and made our first post-college memories together, including watching Eddie Murphy's stand-up with our friends Evan and Stefan at Maloney's, and playing pool with MTV Real World has-beens at Q's. We had a great time that first year on our own and I know that it was because we had each other to go through the ups and downs as we branched out and figured out how to pursue post-college careers.
During my second year in LA, Lins and I lived three blocks away from each other in Venice, California. She became an aunt to my puppy Charly, and the three of us were inseparable. We spent every weekend on the beach or driving the PCH in one of our Jettas. We hosted our first Thanksgiving away from home for about 15 of our friends, which included our first experience making a turkey and mashed potatoes and a lot of dancing by Groomsman Tom Castaneda. (I will add that this was also when I learned that brussel sprouts were not at the Pilgrim's First Thanksgiving, and that the Thanksgiving I knew and loved was my Mom and Oma's German-influenced interpretation of Thanksgiving dinner).
After I moved from LA to New York in 2005, I visited Lins frequently when I would travel back to LA for work. She also visited me in NY when she would head east for work on a hotel in Atlantic City. And then there were our mid-country meet-ups. In 2006 we met-up at the Sundance Festival in Park City, Utah. Some friends of mine from New York had rented a house and invited us to come out. We spent long afternoons sipping Hot Totties at the Gen Art lounge, saw a number of concerts at the pop-up Tao bar downtown, and also hosted some after-parties at our house. We had more celeb sightings than during our years in LA and NY combined, and learned about gifting suites. Needless to say, there was no skiing on this trip. In 2007 we met-up at the VMAs in Las Vegas. Our friend Jordan spoiled us with suites at THE Hotel at Mandalay Bay and massages at the hotel spa, and we visited my good friend Kate while she was working at the gifting suites at Caesar's Palace. And after we were relaxed and rested, we met up with my good friends David and Trent to begin what turned out to be an epic night. We party and concert-hopped from Robin Thicke and Maroon 5 to 50 Cent, T-Pain, and Kanye West...and then after hours of dancing at Noir, we walked home barefoot with our shoes in our hands (ok, I was the only one who walked home barefoot). And the we slept and laid by the pool the entire next day and laughed at stories from the night before.
(This photo is from the infamous trip to Vegas just before Lins, David, Trent, and I stole a limo from Carson Daly; and I was really really tan!)
When I was living in Hong Kong in 2010, I got an email from Lins that I had to read twice because I did not believe it - her company asked her to move to Hong Kong for 6 months to work on some of their Asian hotel projects. Yay! Better yet, her office was only a block from mine. While Lins was in Hong Kong we spent many Sunday afternoons at the beach, many Saturday nights in LKF, and ate lunch together almost every weekday. I was spoiled to get so much time with Lins again, and am so happy that we got to share this unique overseas experience together.
About Lindsey:
Lindsey grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio and is an interior designer for Hirsch Bedner and Associates in LA, where she has worked since we moved to LA. She designs hotels, many of which you have likely heard of or even stayed in! She has a beautiful black pug named Saki, who loves to chase laser lights and drink coffee. Lindsey has a vast collection of mix tapes from the 90s, which are incredibly fun to listen to while driving to work in LA traffic.
Ten words that remind me of Lindsey:
* Q's
* Balls!
* Guru
* Frens
* Brownies
* Pants
* Jetta
* Barf Bags
* The Uniballer
* Saki-Bomb
** As usual, many of these are inside jokes that you can ask either of us about during the wedding weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment